One of the most popular wedding favors during any season or in any country are candles. These are vastly popular as they are easily accessible, widely varied in design, style and color, suit all four seasons of the year and visually appealing. The increased interest in aromatherapy, and alternative relaxation techniques have also contributed to the popularity of candle keepsakes, especially scented ones. They are also considered romantic gifts during weddings.
- Religious themes. Keepsakes with a theme that is religious often carry crosses on them. Other equally religious signs like the upside down cross or spellings of religious words or name like “Allah” or “Jesus” can also be endeavored.
- Romantic themes. Some candles are designed with romance in mind. These would carry heart shapes on them which are either carved into their waxy surface or imprinted on them. Other romantic designs are candles that are shaped into wedding gowns or have the word “L-O-V-E” spelt out on them. They are also often white, ivory or silver in color or in any one solid color as candles with only one color are deemed more romantic than those that are not.
- Humorous themes. Other candles are meant to put a smile on your face and lighten the occasion. These are normally more brightly colored and the color chosen would be less somber ones like neon green, bright red or multicolored. They would also be made into humorous shapes like the frog prince, ice-cream sundae, coffee cup, teapot or even Cupid.
- Royalty themes. These are candle wedding favors that are shaped to look like carriages, crowns or tiaras. Often, candle favors like these are silver, ivory or richly colored with gold or silver flecks on them to look equally luxurious.
- Zodiac or personality themes. Candle tokens that carry the zodiac or personality themes are often color-coded to showcase the difference between each time of personality or zodiac. A more tranquil and airy personality like Aries, for instance, would most probably be candle favors that are lavender in color and scent. Other ways of color coding your candles to each personality would be to follow the color of each zodiac’s birthstone. Capricorn birthstone – turquoise – for instance, could be the color for the candle favor. These often come as tea light candles which have an appropriate scent.
Candle wedding favors also come in various holders which match their designs:
- Votives are extremely popular as candle favor casings as they match their designs perfectly in both color and design. Votives also help to cut down on the cost of actually ordering your candles in a specific shape – ordering heart-shaped candles, for example, may cost more than having normal round candles in a votive with a heart shape design on its outside. Votives can be made of ceramic or glass (clear or frosted). Frosted glass seems to be more popular as they give the illusion of being more expensive than they really are. For added beauty, these votives can be decorated with colored rhinestones or crystals with some glitter for some shimmer effect.
- Gift box sets are also popular for candle keepsakes that need to be given out in pairs. These box sets can be made into shapes that fit the wedding theme like coffee cups, soap holders, lanterns, bamboo huts or cake stands (with the candle as the cake). Just like the votive, these also cut down on your need to order specially designed candle wedding favors while allowing your guests to keep their box sets for their own candle of preference.
- Conventional candle holders are another way of encasing the candle favors. To enhance their look, the holders can be made of glass or high quality plastic. To fit your wedding theme, you can have these holders molded to specific shapes like teapots, sea shells, sailboats, heart shapes, beach pails, toasting flute or any other object that fits.
The size of candle wedding favors varies from event to event. How big or small the candle table gift is should be determined by its design and intended use. Is it supposed to be a tea light candle or a centerpiece candle? Tea light candles are naturally small and light while centerpiece candles are larger and short. Do remember as well that candle wedding favors, particularly scented ones, also tend to be more decorative than practical items – most are used as air fresheners in bathrooms and wardrobes and almost never lit.